Home About Me Korean Progress korean help follow
Different Ways of Stating "And" posted at 13:54

Well to start off these mini study guides I made during my studying for my previous exams, I thought I could stare the different ways you could say "and" in a sentence and where you would use them. I found it one of those hard things to remember as I didn't understand the differences in sequences as in English I could say "I went to the shop and bought something" or "I went to the shop and then met a friend" with no sequential difference would be needing be stated.

Firstly if I start with the different ways of saying "and" when using nouns in a sentence, and then I can go into ways to connect verbs and then finally any sentence beginnings and endings which can also connect in speech and writing.

Using "And" To Connect Between Nouns


  • 하고 - This is an easy connector to use as it has no difference whether you place it after a consonant or vowel ending noun. It simply means "and" with no complex meaning and can also be used to say "with" such as stating you did an action with another person.
    An example of using this connector is: "어제 나는 커피하고 차하고 술을 마셨어요." (Yesterday I drank coffee (커피) and tea () and alcohol ()). Another example of using this connector with the meaning of "with" is: "나는 어머니하고 영화를 봤어요." (I watched a film with my mother).
     
  • 와/과 - This is a particle connector that simply means "and" but differs according to the ending of the noun. If the noun ends in a consonant you use but if it instead ends with a vowel you use . This particle can also be used like 하고 to state doing an action "with" someone.
    Here is an example of using this connector: "나는 가요와 재스를 들어요." (I listen to K-pop (가요) and Jazz (재스)).
  • (이)랑 - This is another particle connector that means both "and" or "with". Also the way you use it depends again on how the noun ends. If the noun ends in a vowel you simply use but if it ends in a consonant you add to make 이랑.
  • Again here is a example of how to use this connector: "내일 한국어랑 영어를 공부할 거에요." (Tomorrow I will study Korean (한국어) and English (영어)).
  • There are additional particles such as and (이)나 that can be used to connect nouns in sentences but these give the meaning of "also" or "or".
Using "And" To Connect Between Verbs


  • Verb base + 고 ... - This is one of the simplest way to connect sentences rather than having too sentences and the second beginning with 그리고 (and/also). All you do is use the verb base from the first sentence and attach the ending to then continue on to the second sentence. This can be used to list activities in a sequence with the feeling of "and" however these actions must not have any sequential action. In other words it means "I did this action, and then did this action (but neither have any connection".
    For example you can say "나는 학교에 가고 친구를 만났어요." (I went to school and then met a friend - no implied sequence in the actions).
    Another thing to remember is that with this form you do not necessarily need to state a pass verb base in the first part if you just remember to state the past tense in the second half.
  • Verb 아/어 + 서 ... - This is another simple way to connect sentences but has a few different meanings so you have to make sure you use it in the right context. One of it's main meanings is "and" but unlike -고 it links actions that have sequential action. In other words it means "I did this action and then did this action (and both actions are linked)."
    An example of this is "나는 가게에 가서 사과를 샀어요." (I went to the store and bought an apple [I went to the store in order to buy an apple.])
    Therefore you have to be careful you don't get confused with the other form: verb base (으) 러 + a movement verb such as 가다 (to go) or 오다 (to come). This pattern instead has the meaning of "I went to a place to do this action" and is used to state movement, whilst 아/어 + 서 can link any two actions.
    Again there is no need to use a past tense in the first half of the sentence as long as you remember to state in the second half.
    The other meaning for 아/어 + 서 is "because/so" which connects sentences that usually would have been separated by 그래서 (therefore). This the meaning is different in that it explains either a reason for another action or describes a discovery. It is usually used to state fact but this is a whole another topic to go into so I will leave that for another day!
  • Verb base + (으) 며... - This is the final connector between verb ending sentences that I will be talking about in this post. This one is a little complicated to explain and it took me a couple of attempts to fully understand where to use it but hopefully I can explain it in the best possible way for you! This has the simple meaning of "and" as well but instead of it being two actions or having any sequential link, the two sentences connected together have NO link at all. Instead of -고 which has no link in actions, this is for more completely different topics, or say you talk about today then decide to talk about tomorrow or yesterday.
    An example of this could be "오늘 비가 오며 내일 눈이 와요." (Today it will rain and tomorrow it will snow). This sounds very similar to how -고 could be translated but it has a much distant intention in the meaning, and states no sequence in action whilst -고 could at least mean "and then..." with the actions not having any other link.
    Again there is no need to use a past tense in the first half of the sentence.
Other Ways of Saying "And"

Here are some examples of words that don't connect two or more sentences or nouns but can be used as connectors at the start of new sentences.

  • 그리고 - "and"
  • 그래서 - "therefore, so"
  • 그런데 - "however"
  • 그렇지만 - "however, but"
Ways To End Sentences With "And"

There is a common way in colloquial Korean speech that is used for example when you forget to add something in a previous sentence or when you remember something at the last moment. This is called the -고요 ending which you can use at the end of an additional sentence plus the verb base to add something on.
For example you could say: "오늘 나는 커피를 마셔요. 차도 마시고요." (Today I will drink coffee. And I will also drink tea).

 ☆  
Hopefully this first of my little study guides that I collected from my exam studying will be helpful to you! Remember if you have any questions don't hesitate to drop a comment and I can give you some advice ^^

Labels: , ,

안녕하세요
My name is 루시 (Lucy) and I am a 2nd year student of BA Korean in London, but currently I am studying at Korea University in Seoul.

This blog will include helpful tips and hints on how to learn the Korean language but will also show my own progress in studying.

I will also aim to post reviews on Korean products and will post videos of my adventures.

Credits
Layout and header image by mymostloved with base image, brushes and background.